Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Thoughts on Original Sin

I by Original Sin you mean that Adam and Eve "did it" while God wasn't looking, and somehow passed that down to you and I, sorry, I'll have none of it. I don't remember asking to be born, and I'll not apologize for the decisions I have had to make in order to survive.
"We are born in sin, children of a fallen humanity". Hogwash (or worse!) If you want to say we are born self-centered, now I'm listening. If we were not born that way, we would not survive. Evolution has blessed us with this gift of self centeredness in order to be fruitful and multiply.
I am well aware that the task of each human being is to gradually modify their self orientation to include others and their needs. Evolutionists tell us that, ironically, if we don't temper our self centeredness, we will not survive as a species.
It doesn't get to be "sin" (ha-ha-harmartia, you missed) unless one thinks of self  first always, to the exclusion of others and in spite of them.
We had a gentlemen once remark in our church that "children are born evil". NOT! This was his misunderstanding of sin, equating it with evil, which it definitely is not. It's a stretch between wanting your milk and killing the cow when it doesn't deliver on time.
But I am dismayed sometimes, when young children are smacked or scolded for trivial infractions because the parents hold to that unfortunate proverb, "spare the rod and spoil the child". (That is not how the adage goes, really, it is a variant of what is in the Bible). They treat them as if they are, indeed, intent on evil, and need to be violently pulled back. I remember when my father whupped me when I was 3 or 4 for wetting my pants. "I'm doing this for your good" he smiled, as he peeled down the wet cotton. Smack! I've been angry ever since..
Then he shoveled in the Atonement: "this hurts me more than it hurts you." Bullshit. Human hands were all over my sore bottom, and human hands are all over the doctrines and dogma of Christianity, not Gods', and they derive orgiastic satisfaction from keeping people in thrall to guilt. It is humans who have developed the evil doctrine of the Atonement it's sex-slave The Creed,- and twisted Original Sin from a need to gradually let go of all one's attention to self into "Look what I've done for you - you owe me". And that is the voice of a self centered human, not God's. "O Pharoah, Pharoah (Pope, bishop, pastor, Christian CEO) let my people go".

No comments:

Post a Comment